Trust in God
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever. Heb 13:8
This is a time when many are giving up on God and unbelievers are turning a cold shoulder
• May be due to what is going on in the world
• Or what may be going in your personal life
• But the Bible says God is the same, yesterday, today and forever
• Though this world is changing Jesus will never change
Jeremiah 17:5-10: Thus saith the Lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord.6 For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited.7 Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is.8 For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?10 I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.
• Vs. 5 starts by saying we can’t make humanity our strength
• Because when we do “our heart departeth from the Lord
Psalm 118:8-9: It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.9It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.
John 15:4 – Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
That verse in Jeremiah 15:5 also says: “When we trust in humanity, our heart departeth from the Lord.”
• We did some teaching on the Heart
• We found out that the Heart can deceive us
Vs.9-10 in Jeremiah 17 says The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? 10 I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.
• We don’t even know our hearts
• But Jesus does
• He searches the heart and mind and knows how to reward each person
• If we want to know what our hearts are like, we must read the Word and let
the Spirit of God teach us.
Back in Jeremiah 17:6 says
Says: If we put our trust in humanity: “we shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited.”
• Heath – is a shrub
• We will be like a plant in the dessert
o No water –stay close to the Word of God
Not drinking spiritual water, we will die from dehydration
• Or our physical health will suffer
“That verse says “but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness
o To avoid drying up and dying spiritually stay close to the Bible and Spirit of God
o So that we can have faith and receive the blessings of God
WE HAVE THE WORD OF GOD TO KEEP US FULLY SPIRITUALLY HYDRATED
Psalm 119:105: Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.
Psalm 119:103: How sweet are thy words unto my taste! Yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Psalm 119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth forever
WE CAN SEE MORE OF THE FRUIT OF WORD OF GOD
John 15:16: Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
• The Lord in his infinite found us when we were lost
• As we dwell in His Love and Word, we will bring forth fruit
Matthew 3:7-8, and vs. 10 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?8 Bring forth; therefore, fruits meet for repentance: vs. 10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
• For over four hundred years, the nation had not heard the voice of a prophet.
• John came along and preached repentance
• repent means “to change one’s mind and act on that change.”
• More than regret or remorse; he wanted “fruits meet for repentance.”
• That means evidence of a changed mind and a changed life.
LET’S STAY IN A REPENTANT HEART AND CLOSE TO JESUS
Give your heart to Jesus today by saying this prayer:
Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for dying on the cross for my sin. Please forgive me. Come into my life. I receive You as my Lord and Savior. Please, help me to live for you the rest of this life. Fill me with your Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus, I pray.