1 Thess 5:22-24: Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly, and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.
The Word of God is supposed to do something inside of us
- Then manifest itself on the outside of us in our actions and attitudes
- Otherwise, the Word of God does not affect our lives
- Without the Work of the Holy Spirit in our lives
- We will be the same as we were before Jesus
IT IS THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT THROUGH THE WORD OF GOD THAT TRANSFORMS AND CHANGES US.
1 Thess 1:5: For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.
For the Thessalonians: There was The Holy Spirit’s Conviction, Conversion, and the Power of God to live a life unto the Lord
- When the Word is heard and obeyed, lives are changed
- For the Thessalonians, the Word was a heart and life changer
- From what they were before Jesus
Question: What has God’s power done in your life since your first believed?
- The Last part of that verse said: “As ye know what manner of men we were for your sake.”
- The Thessalonians could see that Paul and his companion’s preaching was true because they lived it
- Question: Do our lives approve or oppose what we say we believe?
THE THESSALONIANS RECEIVED THE MESSAGE AND THE MESSENGER IN 1 THESS 2:10-13
- They received the message because it was a transforming, life-changing word
- The messenger, because Paul and his workers lived the Word that they preached.
1 Thess 2: 10-13: 10 Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe: 11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
- Paul and his workers’ words and actions represented the Gospel
- Paul and his workers didn’t have any other ulterior motive
- They were there to take their money
- They were there to take advantage of them
- But to see lives changed for the gospel
- And in vs. 13 says that Thessalonians: “received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.”
- We want that word of work effectually in us.
- We want the Word to produce fruit in our lives
- Transform us from our old self into what God intended us to be
THE LORD WANTS TO SANCTIFY, PURIFY AND MAKE HOLY OUR SPIRIT
Ps 51:6: Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
- That inward person is what the Lord is what God is looking at
- Not just the words we speak
- Or the good deeds that we do
- God wants truth in our spirit person
Prov 20:27: The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly.
- The Lord knows what is in our inward parts
Back to Ps 51:7: Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
- During salvation, we became white as snow through the blood of Jesus
Vs. 8. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Vs. 9 Hide thy face from my sins and blot out my iniquities.
- Our sins and iniquities are forgiven during salvation
- Jesus hid his face from our sins and blotted out our iniquities
Vs. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. 11. Cast me not away from thy presence, and take not thy holy spirit from me.
- This is our prayer to the Lord today (Renew a right spirit within me)
- Any spot or wrinkle or blemish in our lives
- We submit to the Lord so that we can have a “right spirit” before the Lord.
Paul said in 1 Thess 5: 23-24: And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly (completely), and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.
- When we do our part, God does His part
- He is the God of Peace, Purity, and Power
- And the Author and Finisher of our Faith
- He has unlimited love and mercy
- And is able
- 24 says Faithful is he that called you, who also will do it.
- God will do it in Jesus name.
Give your heart to Jesus today by saying this prayer:
Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for dying on the cross for my sin. Please forgive me. Come into my heart and life. I receive You as my Lord and Savior. Please, help me to live for you and tell others about you for the rest of this life. Fill me with your Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.