God controls the “heart.” Because of his natural “heart,” man’s only hope is in the promise of God:
•Ezek. 36:26 “A new heart also will I give you, … and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh”
• So the sinner prays: “Create in me a clean heart, O God” Ps. 51:10;
• and “… unite my heart [give me an undivided heart] to fear thy name” Ps. 86:11. Also, as David says, “I know also, my God, that thou triest the heart, and hast pleasure in uprightness” 1 Chron. 29:17.
• Hence God’s people seek His approval: “… try my reins and my heart” Ps. 26:2.
The “heart” stands for the inner being of man, the man himself.
• As such, it is the fountain of all he does Proverbs 4:4: He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
• All his thoughts, desires, words, and actions flow from deep within him. Yet a man cannot understand his own “heart” Jer. 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
• As a person goes on in their own way, their “heart” becomes harder and harder. But God will circumcise (cut away the uncleanness of) the “heart” of His people, so that they will love and obey Him with their whole being
Deut. 30:6 And the Lord thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.
HOW TO DEVELOP HUMILITY OR THE STATE OF BEING HUMBLE
James 4:7-10 : Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? 6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
• Humility means being honest about who we are and what we need.
• Humility opens wide the door to the skeletons in our closets.
• If we make the dark places within us known, the devil cannot use what is hidden to blackmail us.
Psa. 9:12 Cry of the humble.
Prov. 29:23 Honour shall uphold the humble.
2 Chron. 7:14 Humble – pray – seek – turn.
Isa. 57:15 Contrite and humble spirit.
James 4:6 Giveth grace to the humble.
1 Peter 5:5-6 Be clothed with humility.
Don’t ask God to Humble you: 1 Peter 5:6: Says to Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
THE CLASHING WORLDLY OPPOSITE HUMILITY IS PRIDE AND PERSONAL INDEPENDENCE
We must ask the Lord to reveal pride in our lives
IN THE NEW TESTAMENT THE TERM IS USED “PUFFED UP”
1 Cor. 4:6 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.
1 Cor. 4: 18 Now some are puffed up, as though I would not come to you.19 But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will, and will know, not the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power.
1 Cor 8:1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
Jas. 4:16: 16 But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil.
1 Timothy 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
IN THE OLD TESTAMENT:
Isa 9:9 And all the people shall know, even Ephraim and the inhabitant of Samaria, that say in the pride and stoutness of heart,
Isa. 10:33: Behold, the Lord, the Lord of hosts, shall lop the bough with terror: and the high ones of stature shall be hewn down, and the haughty shall be humbled.
Isaiah 2:12: For the day of the Lord of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low:
Prov: 29:23: A man’s pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit
FRUITS OF PRIDE
• An Independent Spirit. Pride promotes rebellion against authority.
• Unforgiving Attitude. Pride is unable to truly forgive.
• Fear Of Man. Pride forces us to dwell on and cultivate the praise of men, not the praise of God.
• Self-Pity. The answer to self-analysis and pity is humility.
• The “I’m Better Than You” attitude. Competition and comparison are generated by pride. To exist, pride must attach itself to something concrete like race, upbringing, theology, etc. It seeks to establish unity in something other than the cross.
• Island Mentality. Pride says it doesn’t need anyone or anything else. Humility longs for others in an attitude of servanthood.
Give your heart to Jesus today by saying this prayer:
Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for dying on the cross for my sin. Please forgive me. Come into my life. I receive You as my Lord and Savior. Now, help me to live for you the rest of this life. Fill me with your Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus, I pray.