HERE ARE SOME COMMON PROBLEMS FACED IN A MARRIAGE
The Problem of Infidelity
Hebrews 13:14: Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
• Infidelity is the most common marriage problem in marriages
• According to the most recent data, almost 20% of men admitted to cheating on their relationship, compared to 10% of women.
o Included in this cheating is emotional affairs
o One-night stands, physical infidelity, internet romances, and lengthy and short-term affairs are all examples of adultery.
The Problem of Spending Money
1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
Money problems can get overwhelming when you have a mortgage, car payments, school bills, health insurance, bad spending habits, credit card debts, and daily expenses.
The problem of Sexual Issues
Sexual issues can arise in a partnership for various reasons, opening the way for further marriage issues.
• Loss of desire for sex is the most common sexual issue in marriage.
• This loss can be experienced by the man or the woman
• Or one partner may have sexual desires that make the other spouse uncomfortable.
• Or there could be medical issues present
The Problem of Abuse
Abuse in a marriage can take many forms, including physical, mental, emotional, sexual, mental, and financial abuse.
• Physical abuse is hitting your partner.
• Unhealthy jealousy is a kind of emotional abuse.
• Forced sex, even between married couples, is sexual abuse
• Stabbing and insulting words is a form of mental abuse
• Financial abuse occurs when one partner controls the other’s access to money resources, reducing the victim’s ability to sustain themselves and forcing them to rely on the abuser financially.
RECOGNIZE THAT YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER YOUR PARTNER OR YOUR MARRIAGE.
Isaiah 45:6-7 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace and create evil: I the LORD
• We must realize that the Lord is the God of our marriages
• We are powerless to control or change our spouses
• We can change or control their character or character defects
• The first step is that we cannot change them
o We are not in control. God is
• Make the Lord the center of your focus. Not your job, finances, or children.
PRAY PRAY PRAY
Matthew 6:6: But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
We must stand in prayer for ourselves, our spouses, and our marriages
One helpful way to start praying is to pray for yourself first!
• Focus on changing ourselves first
• Do the praying and let God do the changing
Father in heaven,
Thank you for sending your Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross for the forgiveness of my sin. Lord Jesus, please forgive me of all of my sins, come into my heart, and be my Lord and Savior. Please, help me to live for you and fill me with your Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.