The Supernatural Gift of the Holy Spirit, promised to us in the Bible, is special from all of the manifestations of the Holy Ghost. Jesus said: “But the comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name. He shall teach you all things! And bring all things to your remembrance whatsoever He have said unto you,” (Jn. 14:26). Christians need the Baptism of the Holy Spirit for the purpose of serving the Lord. We must be endued with power to witness, “(Lk. 24:9; Acts 1:8). Jesus speaks of the Holy Ghost in the following chapters: (Jn. 14:15-17; 14:26; 15:26,27; 16:5-11,12-15).
There are conditions that must be met in order to receive the Holy Spirit Baptism:
- The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is for believers only
- There must be repentence and acceptance of Jesus in the Heart and Life
- There must be a thirsting for the Lord
- We should ask the Lord for the Baptism (though not required)
- We drink the just like living water (signifies receiving by our wills)
- The Holy Spirit wants us to yield to Him “Believe, repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” (Acts 2:38).
What is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?
The Baptism of the Holy Spirit gives us the power to lift up Jesus and not be embarrassed about it. The power to proclaim that Jesus is Lord under the power of the Holy Spirit. Luke 24:49 says this is the power to be a witness. Jesus says: “Be endued with power from on high . . . to witness, (Lk.24:49; Acts 1:8). We receive the supernatural power of God to be witnesses for Him.
Steps of the original Baptism in the Bible
They repented and believed and were baptized. “Believe, Repent and be Baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost,” (Acts 2:38).
- Received by Christ following Salvation
- Followers of Jesus received the Baptism on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4)
- In Samaria (Acts 8:14) (Simon saw what?)
- Corneilus’ House received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit before water baptism (Acts 10:44)
- Received by the Disciples of Ephesus (Acts 19:6)
- The World cannot received the Baptism unless coming and accepting the Lord Jesus as Saviour (John 14:17)
Additional Steps to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
Step one: We receive the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit when we are saved. The Baptism of the Holy is another happening altogether. Jesus Christ Baptizes you (Luke 3:16) John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one migthtier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am unworthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire. Baptism with water is an outward act of what has already happened on the inside. Repentance is an inward change of heart.
Step two: There is a speaking in another language. (Acts 2:4) shows that “they were filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterence.
Step three: A supernatural change happens in your life. You are able to lift up the name of Jesus in power.
Step four: We must thirst for more of the things of God and God will give them to us sometimes without us even having to ask. (Jn. 7:37,38). “If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not glorified, (Jn. 7:37).
Step five: Just being hungry for the Lord also. The Holy Spirit comes for the Lord Jesus Himself. Some don’t feel a need for the Baptism and live beneath their inheritences. This is a free gift that Jesus desires to just give us. “Out of the innermost belly will flow rivers of living water, (Jn. 7:38).
Step six: The new language that we receive upon receiveing the Baptism of the Holy Spirit comes from the belly from our innermost being and not the language center of our brain. Flows like a river! Jesus said: “Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.” ( Jn. 4:13).
Some don’t receive that Baptism of the Holy Spirit because of fear. Other reason are:
- Have been taught against it
- Have not been taught about it
- Do not open their hearts and mouth and receive (resist the things of God)
We are not passive when receiving the Baptism. We are active in drinking and being filled and surrender to the Lord Jesus Christ in receiving what is free to us. We should not say if “God wants me to have it, He will give it to me” this is passive. Active is asking the Lord for the Holy Spirit Baptism and desiring Him. Jesus said : “If ye shall ÁSK anything in my name, I will do it. (Jn. 14:14).our members as instruments of righteousness unto God.”
God bestows discernment through his Holy Spirit. It is received through the teaching of God’s word and the wisdom of a fresh perspective. Faithful people