James 1:1-8: James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
3 Knowing this that the trying of your faith worketh patience.4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive anything of the Lord. 8 A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways.
James 1:5-6: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering: For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
doubt promotes double-mindedness
Doubt: hesitation, indecision, unbelief
- The double-minded person is like waves: Up one minute, down the next.
- The word waverteth or (doubts): means they can’t decide
- They will be one way today and tomorrow act some other way
- They are uncommitted
- They are Unstable and spiritually immature
- They have a half-hearted commitment
- Try to combine the service of God
- with service to self and the world
- The double-minded have two minds
- We can have the mind of Christ and have a double-mind
Joshua 24:14-24: Part of Joshua’s farewell sermon to the Israelites (Keep a finger there)
14 Now, therefore, fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the Lord.
- Fear of the Lord is not being afraid of God
- But have deep respect, reverence, and awe for God’s power and authority.
Ecclesiastes 12:13: Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Romans 3:18: There is no fear of God before their eyes.
Does our day-to-day conduct and relations with others reflect a fear of God
- Do we say and do whatever as if God is not watching?
Joshua 24 Vs. 14 says: fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in truth
- Sincerity is: openness, genuineness, without hypocrisy
1 Thess 2:3 For our exhortation was not of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile:4 But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so, we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts
- We should do the things that we do for the love Lord and others
- Not for fame, money, or popularity
- God searches our hearts and our motives
Back to Joshua 24:15
15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. (vs. 15 says CHOOSE)
- We make choices
- By an act of our will
- What is our focus and priority?
- 15 says to choose between other gods or idols or the Lord (which one is our master, the other gods or the Lord)
- But Joshua says: “but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
Mt 6:24: (We can’t serve two masters ) No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold to the one and despise the other.
Sin is double-mindedness
Jas 4:8 See also Ps 119:113-115
Double-mindedness in dealings with other people
Ge 34:1-29; Jos 9:3-15; 1Sa 18:17-25; 2Sa 3:22-27; 20:8-10; Ne 6:1-4,10-13; Mt 26:47-50 pp Mk 14:43-46 pp Lk 22:47-48; Ac 23:12-24
Daily life double-mindedness
Mt 23:25-28 See also Mt 15:10-19 pp Mk 7:14-23; Lk 11:39-40
Double-mindedness in worship
Idolatry 1Ki 18:21 See also 2Ki 17:27-34,40-41; Hos 10:1-2
Insincerity Mt 15:1-9 pp Mk 7:1-13 See also Isa 29:13
Lack of faith in prayer is equal to double-mindedness
God requires wholeheartedness and sincerity
1Ch 28:9 See also Nu 14:20-24; Jos 14:14; 2Ch 31:21; Ro 12:9; 1Co 5:8; 2Co 1:12; 1Ti 3:8; Jas 3:13-17
Towards other people Col 3:22 See also 2Ch 19:8-11; Eph 6:5-9
Give your heart to Jesus today by saying this prayer:
Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for dying on the cross for my sin. Please forgive me. Come into my heart and life. I receive You as my Lord and Savior. Please, help me to live for you and tell others about you for the rest of this life. Fill me with your Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.