Philippians 2:1: If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, vs. 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
- Brotherly love and unity are at the top of the list for having a successful ministry.
- As Christians, we imitate the ways of Jesus
- Get more of Jesus in our hearts and lives
- Rather than trying to please ourselves or others
- And have an unselfish consideration of fellow believers
Phil 2: vs. 3: Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory (vainglory is an elevated and incorrect sense of self), but in lowliness of mind, let each esteem other better than themselves.
- The heart of a servant is having lowliness of mind
- Not thinking we are more than we are
- But walk in humility amongst others and respecting and esteeming (appreciating, cherishing) them higher than ourselves without selfish ambition.
Selfish ambition: a desire to put oneself forward. An unfair power grab and seeking to place oneself in a high-ranking position.
- Selfish ambition is associated with other desirable qualities
In 2 Cor 12:20: For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes (means selfish ambition in KJV), backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:
James 3:16: For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
- Selfish ambition and vainglory will not produce a servant’s heart
- Wherever there is selfishness of any type, there will be no heart of a servant
Phil 2:4-5 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
- 4 is talking about unselfishness- says instead of thinking of ourselves, we should think of others
Self-sacrifice – 1 Cor 10:33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
- We saw this in the life of Joseph.
- He did not try to save himself or take revenge on anyone
- Whatever predicament Joseph found himself in, he had the heart like Jesus Christ
- He kept the servant’s heart
- They could not make Joseph bitter because
- Whatever Joseph did, God caused him to prosper
- Even though his brother tried to kill him and sold him to slavery
- Even when Potiphar locked him up because of the lie of his wife accusing Joseph
- Because the Lord was with him
Gen 39: 2-4 And the Lord was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man, and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian.3 And his master saw that the Lord was with him and that the Lord made all that he did to prosper in his hand.4 And Joseph found grace in his sight, and he served him: and he made him overseer over his house, and all that he had he put into his hand.
Phil 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
- Having the mind of Christ is the emptying of self
- No pride, no selfish motives, no selfish desires
WE CAN HAVE THE MIND OF CHRIST
1 Cor 2: 8-11 and vs16: 9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? Even, so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? Vs. 16, but we have the mind of Christ.
- Those that have been born again can have the mind of Christ
- Through the mind of Christ, we can understand spiritual things
WE SHOULD FALL OUT OF AGREEMENT WITH THE SPIRIT OF THE WORLD
Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
AND RENEW OUR MINDS THROUGH THE BIBLE
Ephesians 4:20-24: But ye have not so learned Christ;21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
- Renewing our minds is the pathway to the heart of a servant
WE ARE SUPPOSED TO GAIN NEW DESIRES AND QUALITIES THROUGH THE MIND OF CHRIST
- Qualities such as Humility Phil 2:5
- Compassion Matthew 9:36
- Godly fruit: Gal 5:22-23
JESUS’ MIND IS LOWLY
HE HAS A PURE MIND
1 Peter 2:22
A STRONG MIND
1 Peter 2:23
A PRAYERFUL MIND
Luke 6:12; John 17
A LOVING MIND
Luke 23:34 Eph 5:2
WE CAN SEEK TO HAVE THE HEART OF A SERVANT BY OBEYING JESUS’ WORDS IN MATTHEW 5:
WE SEE THE BEATITUDES OR THE CHRISTIAN ATTITUDES IN MATTHEW 5:1-12
WE ALSO SEE MORE FRUIT OF A CHRIST-LIKE LIFE IN MATTHEW 5: 38-48
Mattew 5:38-48: Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth (getting even or getting revenge) 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? Do not even the publicans the same?47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? Do not even the publicans so?48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
- Submit yourselves to God
- Resist the devil and his ways
- And he will flee from you (James 4:7)
- Resist those old ways
- Let the Word of God start to transform us to be more Christ-like
GOD’S WAYS ARE NOT OUR WAYS OR THE DEVILS WAYS.
God’s ways are righteousness and Truth and the way to having a Servant’s Heart.
Deut 32:4: He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
Father in heaven,
Thank you for sending your Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross for the forgiveness of my sin. Lord Jesus, please forgive me of all of my sins, come into my heart, and be my Lord and Savior. Please, help me to live for you and fill me with your Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.