Jesus said for us to be perfect
• This was a commandment from the Lord
• We certainly cannot do this on our own
• Not by our strength or brainpower
• But by God’s grace, we can do all things.
Philippians 4:13: I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me.
Ephesians 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
• Our strength comes from God’s grace
BY GOD’S FREE GRACE
Everything that God requires us to do in the New Testament is by the grace of God
• This grace is made available through Jesus Christ
• Grace begins where human effort ends
• When we do things in our strength
o Our righteousness
o Our wisdom
o We don’t need Gods grace
• When we come to the end of the best we can do, we come to the beginning of God’s grace
God says: “My grace is sufficient.”
2 Corinthians 12:9: And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly, therefore, will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
• Do we believe that the grace of God is sufficient for us
• When we are weak He is made strong
• We can become more Christlike through His Grace and strength
• “That the power of Christ may rest upon us”
TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS CAN DRIVE US AWAY OR CLOSER TO THE LORD ALL ABOUT CHRISTIAN CHARACTER
Romans 5:1-4: Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
• Justification (spoken in verse one) is not an escape from the trials of this life
• Jesus said in John 16:33: In this world ye shall have tribulation
• But for believer trials work for us and not against us
• No amount of suffering can separate us from the Lord:
o Romans 8:35-39
• Instead fiery trials bring us closer to the Lord
o Make us more like the Lord
• Romans 5:4: the word “experience” is used
• This means character that has been proved
• The flow is this: tribulation-patience-proven character and hope
As we go through tribulations and depend on God’s grace
• The trials only purify us and help to get rid of the chaff
1 Peter 4:12-13: Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
Paul and Silas in Imprisonment:
Acts 16:23: And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast them into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely:
Acts 16:25: And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
THE LOVE OF GOD IS SHED ABROAD IN OUR HEARTS
Romans 5:5: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
• The total love of God is poured into our hearts
• When you become born again, the Bible says the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit come and live inside of you.
THE PURPOSE WE ARE TRYING ACHIEVE IS CHRISTLIKENESS
CHARACTER TRAITS OF CHRISTLIKENESS:
Pr 28:1: The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.
CONTRITE feeling or expressing remorse or penitence; affected by guilt
Isa 57:15: For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
Isa 66:2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.
Ps 4:3 But know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the Lord will hear when I call unto him.
2 Peter 2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
Ps 34:2 My soul shall make her boast in the Lord: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.
1 Peter 5:5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
Dear Father in heaven, I recognize that I cannot be perfect in my
strength. Pour out Your love and grace in my heart in such a way that
I may walk with You in obedience. I want to learn obedience as Jesus
did, and I commit myself to study Your Word and obey it, loving You
and learning to love others by what You teach me from Your Word.
Thank you in advance for helping me to take this step. In Jesus’
Give your heart to Jesus today by saying this prayer:
Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for dying on the cross for my sin. Please forgive me. Come into my life. I receive You as my Lord and Savior. Please, help me to live for you the rest of this life. Fill me with your Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus, I pray.
WE HAVE SOMETHING THAT THE OLD TESTAMENT BELIEVERS DIDN’T HAVE We have the Trinity living inside of us according to the Bible John 14: 16