PRAISE THE LORD FOR ALL MOTHERS IN ALL WALKS OF LIFE.
Luke 10:42: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
MARTHA AND MARY ARE OFTEN CONTRASTED AS THOUGH A BELIEVER MUST MAKE A CHOICE:
- To be a worker like Martha
- Or a worshipper like Mary
- Yes, our personalities and gifts are different
- But that does not mean we should be either
- A worshiper or worker
- There is a time to sit and a time to serve
CHARLES WESLEY, A GREAT ENGLISH LEADER IN THE METHODIST MOVEMENT ONCE SAID:
Faithful to my Lord’s commands,
I still would choose the better part.
Serve with careful Martha’s hands,
And loving Mary’s heart.
THE LORD DESIRES FOR US TO HAVE A BALANCE IN OUR LIVES
- To imitate Mary in our devotion to his Presence and His Word
- And imitate Martha in our work for Him
TRYING TO WORK FOR THE LORD WITHOUT TAKING TIME WITH THE LORD:
- Is damaging to a Christian’s life
Jesus said in John 15:5: For without me ye can do nothing
- Jesus said: In Luke 10:42: The Mary had chosen the better part
- Mary knew that she could not live by bread alone
Matt 4:4: Jesus said: Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
WE MUST CHOOSE THE BETTER PART
Luke 10: 41-42: And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
In vs. Luke 10: 41, Jesus calmly ministered to Martha: He said Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things.
- Jesus was saying you are not just troubled because Mary isn’t helping
- But Jesus said Martha was troubled about many things
- We can be upset about many things
- And reach our overload point and unload on whoever is nearby
JESUS SAID MARTHA WAS WORRIED ABOUT MANY THINGS
- Jesus did not condemn Mary for her service
- But Jesus reached out to her in compassion
- Just as he reaches out to us when we reach our overload point
MARTHA WAS DISTRACTED BY SO MUCH THAT SHE LEFT OUT ONE THING THAT MATTERED
Jesus said in Luke 10:42: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
- Jesus is saying that Martha needed to sit at His feet and learn His Word
- Before we can effectively give to others
- We must have fellowship with God in prayer and His Word
Psalm 73:26: My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever.
- We need the strength of the Lord
- God is the strength of our heart and our portion forever.
MARY HAD CHOSEN THE GOOD PORTION
- We also have a choice to make
- Are we choosing the good portion?
- Are we choosing what is better?
- Most of us have limited time
- Are we making the right choices?
- On what we listen to
- What we read
- What we watch
- What we learn
- We can’t do it all so we must choose.
WE SHOULD ALSO SET A BALANCE IN OUR LIVES AND SET PRIORITIES
Matthew 6:33: But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Luke 12:34: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Matthew 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
THE GREATEST OF ALL IS SITTING AND WORSHIPPING AND LEARNING THE WAYS TO THE LORD
Give your heart to Jesus today by saying this prayer:
Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for dying on the cross for my sin. Please forgive me. Come into my heart and life. I receive You as my Lord and Savior. Please, help me to live for you and tell others about you for the rest of this life. Fill me with your Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.