Those that have been redeemed by the Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ and are saved by His Grace, have been given authority in Jesus Christ and to use His name. Jesus gave his disciples this authority when He walked the earth and all believers. This authority is for casting out demons,healing the sick and to preach (Matt 10:1, Mark 16:17-18). Jesus said: “And these signs will follow them that believe”. This authority operates because of the work that Jesus has already completed. We can look at a few scriptures in which Jesus gives this authority:
- Luke 10:17, “And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.”
- Mark 16:17, “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils…”
- Acts 3:6, “…Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.”
We must consider this an honor to be able to use the name of Jesus! This is the most powerful name in the universe and His name is above every name.
Examples of Jesus’ Authority
Jesus exercised authority that was unique from anyone else throughout all time!
- Jesus cast out demons with the power of His Word: Matt 8:16: “When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word…”
- We see Jesus casting out demons using His Authority in Mark 1:27:”And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.”