A broken heart or spirit may be caused by rejection, abuse, betrayal, tragic circumstances, or by God’s judgment.
Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound.
- The world is filled with hurting people
- Downtrodden, bruised, crushed, and broken down
- And others will never see the hurt
- Physical pain can come with a lifetime of suffering
- But physical pain may be easier to deal with than unseen pain
- Most human beings are good at hiding that unseen emotional pain and hurt
Our brokenness before God
Also see: Ps 34:18; Ps 51:8; Is 57:15; Is 66:2; Zec 12:10
A Broken Heart
Also see: Ps 34:18; Ps 69:20; Ps 109:16; Is 61:1; Je 23:9; Eze 21:6–7
A Broken Spirit
Also see: Job 30:24; Job 31:38–40
Brokenness comes as a result of God’s judgment
Also see: Job 24:20; Is 8:12–15; Is 65:14–15; Je 22:24–30
Also see: Je 48:4–5; Je 48:16–17; Je 48:38–39; Je 50:23–24; Je 51:6–10
Brokenness as repentance
Also see: Ps 34:18; Ps 51:16–17; Is 57:14–21
Father in heaven,
Thank you for sending your Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross for the forgiveness of my sin. Lord Jesus, please forgive me of all of my sins, come into my heart, and be my Lord and Savior. Please, help me to live for you and fill me with your Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.