1 Timothy 6:12: Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
SANCTIFICATION (Spirit, soul, and body)
- But there is a battle going on for our sanctification and purity
- The enemy will fight us tooth and nail when we try to get close to the Lord
- We must develop perseverance in life
- Same as a Christian
PERSEVERANCE IS PERSISTENCE IN DOING SOMETHING DESPITE DIFFICULTY OR DELAY IN ACHIEVING SUCCESS.
- Just like in our lives
- Perseverance is dedication, commitment, and determination.
- Some battles are easy, and some are difficult
THE GATES TO OUR BODY
FIRST OF ALL, WHAT IS A GATE:
A gate or gateway is a point of entry to a space that is enclosed by walls. Gates may prevent or control the entry or exit of individuals, or they may be merely decorative. Other terms for gate include yett and port.
Spiritual Gates: Are entrances into the body, mind, soul, and spirit of individuals.
- So our physical eyes, ears, and mouth
- Are entrances into our inner person
- A gateway is a place of authority where dominion is exercised
- Whoever controls the different gateways exercises authority, dominion & control over you.
IN BIBLE TIMES, CITIES WERE WALLED AND GATED COMMUNITIES.
- Their walls and gates protected them.
- whoever won the gates took the city
- When the gates of a city fell, the city surrendered
Isa 3:26: And her gates shall lament and mourn, and she being desolate shall sit upon the ground.
Jeremiah 14:2: Judah mourneth and the gates thereof languish; they are black unto the ground, and the cry of Jerusalem is gone up.
- Who has won or own the gateways of your life?
- Whoever that is, it or they are in control of your life
- When I say they, I am mainly talking spiritually
- As in the devil’s kingdom
- Some people take control of the gateways themselves
- The best of the best person
- Can not keep the bad out and the good in
- Because we are imperfect humans
- We need a perfect gatekeeper
- He is the perfect gatekeeper PTL
WE ONLY WANT THE SPIRIT OF GOD IN CONTROL OF THE GATES TO OUR BODIES
WHAT IS A STRONGHOLD IN A CHRISTIAN LIFE:
- A stronghold is a habitual pattern of thought built into one’s thought life
BEFORE WE CAN WALK IN SANCTIFICATION, HOLINESS, AND PURITY
- THESE STRONGHOLDS OR GATEKEEPERS MUST BE DEALT WITH
- Because they allow the enemy to control the gates
- To our inner man
- The strongholds may have developed in our early years in life
- They may have entered through abuse
- From others abusing us in some way
- Or we abused ourselves
- But now, as Christians, we need to learn God’s way
2 Cor 10:3-6: For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds;)5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.
These scriptures declare:
- We are not to war in the flesh
- The weapons of our warfare are mighty
- God empowers them
Sanctification is grounded in the holiness of God
God is holy
Eze 39:7 See also Lev 22:32; Jos 24:19; Ps 30:4; Hos 11:9; Isa 6:3; Rev 6:10
God demands that his people should reflect his holiness
Lev 19:2 See also Lev 11:44-45; 20:7-8; Heb 2:11; 1Pe 1:15-16
Sanctification is the will of God for his people
1Th 4:3 See also Eph 1:4; 2:10; 2Th 2:13; 1Pe 1:1-2
The basis for sanctification
God’s election of his people
1Co 1:2; Eph 1:4-11; 1Th 5:9
The atoning death of Jesus Christ
Heb 13:12 See also Ro 6:11; 7:4; 8:2; 1Co 1:30; 6:11; Eph 5:25-27; Heb 10:10-14; 1Pe 2:5
The grace of God
Lk 1:69-75; Php 2:13; 2Ti 1:9; Heb 12:10
The work of the Holy Spirit
Ro 15:16; 2Th 2:13; 1Pe 1:2
The word of God
Jn 17:17; Eph 5:25-26; 2Ti 3:16
The need for sanctification
The universal sinfulness of humanity
Isa 64:6 See also Job 15:14-15; Ps 51:5; Ro 5:12-19; Eph 2:3
Enslavement to evil can only be broken through the death of Jesus Christ
Jn 8:34-36 See also Ro 6:16-18; 8:5-7; Eph 4:17-24
The need for renewal and growth
2Pe 3:18 See also Ro 12:1-2; Col 1:10; 1Th 4:3-6; Heb 6:1-3
The nature of sanctification
A process that has already been initiated
1Co 1:2; 6:11
A process of growth in holiness
Ro 12:1-3; 2Co 3:18; Eph 4:15; 1Th 4:3-7; Heb 12:14; 1Pe 2:1-3; 2Pe 3:18
Consecration to God
Ex 32:29; 1Ch 29:5; Pr 23:26; Ro 12:1
Give your heart to Jesus today by saying this prayer:
Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for dying on the cross for my sin. Please forgive me. Come into my heart and life. I receive You as my Lord and Savior. Please, help me live for you and tell others about you for the rest of this life. Please fill me with your Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.