James 4:8: Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double-minded.
• The double-minded Christian can never be close to God
• HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT: means there are two options that someone wants, but they can’t have both because the options conflict with each other, so they can only pick one.
• WE CAN’T EXPECT TO HAVE THE SINS THAT MAKE US FEEL GOOD AND CHRISTIANITY TOO!
• WE CAN’T HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS; YOU CAN’T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS
THIS LIFE IS ALL ABOUT CHOICES
JESUS UNDERSTANDS AND KNOWS ALL: HE HAS COMPASSION FOR US.
COMPASSION MAY BE DEFINED AS “YOUR PAIN IN MY HEART”
Psalm 145:8 The Lord is gracious and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.
Hebrews 4:14-16: Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.16 Let us, therefore, come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
• He was a man of sorrow, acquainted with grief.
• He understands the pain in our hearts and bodies
Isaiah 53:4-6: Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him, and with his stripes, we are healed.6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way, and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
• We don’t have to feel despised and rejected
• Bruised hurt and thrown away
• Jesus Christ paid the price for it all
Jesus also said in Matthew 11:28-30: Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
• No matter what our past, present or future
• Jesus understands all that we are
• And all that we go through
Some refuse to draw near to God
Zep 3:2 She obeyed not the voice; she received not correction; she trusted not in the LORD; she drew not near to her God.
Jer 2:30: In vain have I smitten your children; they received no correction: your own sword hath devoured your prophets, like a destroying lion.
All nations Draw Near to God
Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
Give your heart to Jesus today by saying this prayer:
Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for dying on the cross for my sin. Please forgive me. Come into my life. I receive You as my Lord and Savior. Please, help me to live for you the rest of this life. Fill me with your Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus, I pray.